Saturday, July 23, 2011

j-i-p-p-e-d...

Hello my friends! This is my first blog in a few weeks so I’m sure you’re all just starving for a little update on how my life is going. Here's whats up!


Most of my time at work the last couple weeks has been spent preparing for camp. We had junior camp last week and teen camp is coming up soon. Junior camp was awesome! It was definitely a lot of work heading up to Washington a few days early to get everything ready for the kids. I was already tired by the time the kids arrived on Monday afternoon. It was totally worth it though! Around fifteen kids received Christ as their Savior throughout the week. I had the incredible privilege of sharing the Gospel with a few of them after services and being right there as Christ rerouted their eternal destination from death to life. Pretty awesome stuff! There is no sense of accomplishment or achievement that could ever surpass the feeling that having a part in someone's salvation brings. Why? Because the feeling comes from Christ working through us, not anything that we actually do. The greatest sense of accomplishment a man can feel doesn't come from his own achievements, but by allowing Christ to achieve things through himself. 


I had a pretty crazy cabin! Most of the kids were pretty good... except one. This kid was a maniac! He did everything he wasn't supposed to do. Thursday morning after chapel he grabbed the team flag, ran through the girl's cabins, and slid down the 300 ft water slide... that was pretty much how he was all week. Friday night I stepped out of the cabin for 2 minutes after all the kids were in bed. Next thing I know my cabin sounds like a jungle... I walk in to find that this kid has broken open some glow sticks, rubbed the stuff all over his butt  and is now running all over the cabin with fluorescent cheeks. He was definitely a force to be reckoned with.

Today me and a few friends hiked the Trail of Ten Falls about an hour and a half from Eugene. It was gorgeous! The falls were beautiful and reminded me of how incredible of an artist God is. You can actually walk behind a couple of the falls and stand beneath the overhang of rock and dirt. I'm used to having earth below my feet, not above me. The change of perspective was definitely humbling. It was awesome because at the top of some of the falls it was just a small, slow moving stream that was flowing over the edge but by the time it reached the ground the tiny stream had become a destructive force of nature. After we hiked the falls we headed to the coast to watch some an awesome sunset and then on the way back pulled off into an abandoned weigh station and lied on the pavement and stared at billions of stars in the night sky. Today really made me wonder how we could ever doubt the existence of God.... could He have made it any more obvious through Creation?


Today, my Nanny (my grandmother) saw the incredible glory and majesty of God firsthand. We're all going to miss her. She was a incredible, godly woman who was an amazing example to all of us grandchildren. I'm so thankful for the influence she had on my life. I'll never forget the family gatherings at Nanny and Grandaddy's house on Norwood Avenue in Savannah, Georgia. They are some of the fondest memories of my life. I now look forward to seeing my sweet Nanny in heaven one day. When that day comes I expect to see her holding the hand of the man she's missed for so many years now. I love you Nanny.



No comments:

Post a Comment