Monday, June 20, 2011

and he doesn't even like chocolate...

Blog post #4 has arrived! It feels like forever since I posted last simply because so much has happened in the last week and a half. I feel so privileged to be serving the Lord here at Westside this summer. God has been allowing me to learn a lot through all kinds of experiences. This past week I've been able to see some incredible and awesome truths through the smallest occurrences. I'm so grateful that God has given me this opportunity!

I could never thank the people here at Westside enough for how well they have treated me since I arrived just three weeks ago. It feels like I've been here so much longer than that! Not in the bad way though. I know way too many people to have only been here that long. I've been treated too well by everyone here to have only been here for such a short period of time. I feel like I could write forever just explaining how kind people have been to me! Its the little things that really catch me by surprise and allow me to see the love of God through His people here at Westside. Rice milk, local honey, a dish rack, and immense amounts of food are just a few things that people have been thoughtful enough to get for me. I have hardly had to buy anything simply because of all the incredible meals I have eaten at people's homes and the leftovers I leave with! I'm in awe at how well I've been treated and I can't say "thank you" enough.

 I gave my testimony last Sunday morning and as I was standing in front of the church telling everyone how much God has done for me it hit me how much God has done for me! From where I am today and how God got me here to the family and friends that I could never deserve to, most importantly, my salvation. His love is unfailing, unending, and completely illogical.

There is somebody I want to tell you about. One of my favorite people at Westside is Jake. Jake is (in his own words) "precious". He is absolutely hilarious! He is a very enthusiastic and active part of the church. He helps lead singing (from the front pew) and even turns pages for the piano players on occasion. Jake knows everybody and everybody knows Jake. He has never had a bad day in his life. Jake, Michael and I have an inside joke that never gets old. It goes something like this...

Jake: What is he doing?
Michael: Ben keeps hitting me.
Jake: Yeah.
Me: And he doesn't even like chocolate!

This is followed by laughter every time. Why? Because Jake's smile is contagious. When he laughs he has a way of making everyone else laugh along. God has given him the gift of infectious joy and I'm very thankful to have been contaminated. I think a lot of us could learn a thing or two from Jake.


Today was the first day of VBS and it was awesome! We have seriously been preparing for this week non-stop since I got here three weeks ago. We spent hours walking through neighborhoods and parks just to get the word out to the community. Today we really saw the fruit of that labor. We had 96 kids and 50 workers today! From what I hear that's a Westside record for Day 1! We're planning on having close to 120 by the middle of the week! Its an incredible opportunity to share the gospel to kids and their families! In all honesty, I think I had as much fun as the kids today. I'm the goofy character in the drama (I get to dress up as a fireman), teach the lessons (which includes playing with fire), and play games with the kids. So this week I'm pretty much a kid posing as an adult... which is the norm for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment